RARA-AVIS: Jessup/Telfair (was Re: Racial minorities in classic crime fiction)

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@postikaista.net)
Date: 17 Jul 2003

Bill C.:

> Always glad to see a mention of Richard Jessup, a guy who seems almost
> forgotten these days, aside from the inevitable Cincinnati Kid. He wrote
> some good Gold Medal and Dell First Editions, both crime and westerns. I
> even like his spy novels under the Richard Telfair name.

I second that motion. The Telfair books are funny and ultratough, almost parodies of the genre. "The Bloody Medallion" in which Monty Nash robs the bank is the best one. I've read at least one western by Jessup published as by Telfair. It was also very good, tough and noirish.

Thanks for Etienne for your earlier message about racial matters in fifties noir. Most interesting!

Juri