RARA-AVIS: Politics and The Stein Club

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 15 Jul 2003

Richard, the Stein Club was still a going concern as of 9 or 10 years ago, but it had been taken over by the twentysomething set (i.e. my age at the time). It was still a pretty cool place to hang out. I spent many a summer evening in the back courtyard, compaining about my crappy job.

As for politics, I've just been reading CRIME, PUNISHEMENT, AND RESURRECTION by Michael Collins, and I have to say it's pretty good. Collins does a very good job of bringing in politics, in the sense of what's right or wrong about society, without generally making a big deal out of it. My favorite Collins story is also political, "Eighty Million Dead", reprinted in last summer's PWA anthology, MOST WANTED.

Graham

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus