Re: RARA-AVIS: Politics, schmolitics...

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Jul 2003

K.C. Constantine is another writer who doesn't avoid politics in his novels. Neither do James Lee Burke and James Sallis. Politics can appear in many guises, though, from the outright whine to the subtly ironic background in which the story develops. In the latter case, the reader could miss it.

Of those mentioned so far, I think Constantine and Ross Macdonald do the political thing best. With late Ellroy, I feel shouted at -- so much does he underline. John D. has never convinced me; he gets preachy instead of just showing.

Apropos of next month's guest: Simenon was a master at political subtexts, especially provincial and local politics.

Best,

mrt