RARA-AVIS: AN EASY THING, Paco Taibo 1990

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 13 Jul 2003

I don't know what led me to Taibo. Did Mark Sullivan mention him recently when there was a discussion of off-beat hardboiled writers? That's where I got Behm from, I know.

Anyway, I was a little unsure about this book because I, for some reason or other, had the impression that it had a reputation for being "literary," but it was a decent book. Not avant garde or weird at all. I guess it does have a strong Proletariat side to it, and he does grind on it pretty heavy, but I still liked it.

Hector is a Mexico City private detective. Taibo works hard on evoking the city but I think his Proletariat-colored glasses hinders him. Instead of feeling the city, you feel his politics. The characters are eccentric, funny, touching, interesting, and believable.

miker