RARA-AVIS: Re: "Rico" and Paul Wendkos

From: Chris Schneider ( chrisaschneider@earthlink.net)
Date: 11 Jul 2003

> on 7/11/03 2:39 PM, Etienne Borgers at wbac1203@wanadoo.be wrote:
>
> You are of course right, Simenon's "THE BROTHERS RICO - Les fr貥s Rico "
> was issued in *1952* and not in 1962 as mentioned in my previous message.
> Sorry for the typo!
>
> As for the films based on the book, there was a further US adaptation in
> 1972 (film for TV) 'The Family Rico' having a rather good reputation, but I
> never saw it.

         The TV version was directed by Paul Wendkos, the intermittently
     talented director of the Goodis-scripted film adaptation of "The
     Burglar" as well as of "Angel Baby" (the '60s one, with Salome Jens and
     Mercedes McCambridge) and "The Mephisto Waltz." Also much of the the
     two '70s PI series "Archer" and "Harry O." Oh, yes, and also the
     "Honor Thy father" TV-movie, the one adapted by Lewis John Carlino from
     a Gay taylese book.
         A *very* variable record, on the whole, but still a director worthy
     of attention ...

                                 Chris