RARA-AVIS: "Heartbreak and Vine"--Woody Haut

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Jul 2003

Hello, Rare Birds:

Appropos of our current thread on Marlowe and the movies--

I go to many mystery conferences and listen to many speakers. Most are best-sellers or good-sellers, but none impressed me more than Woody Haut at last-years Left Coast Crime.

Since that Conference I have read two of his books on noir. I am now in the middle of
"Heartbreak and Vine," by him.

In this one he covers the effact of Hollywood on writers from Chandler and Hammett to Pelecanos and Lehane. At the same time, he covers the noir landscape including writers like Cornell Woolrich, Jim Thompson, and yes, Leigh Backett.

His other books covered some of the same ground, but this one is a great overview--after all, a few of us got our first taste of noir on the tube.

Woody's books provide a great overview.

Jack Bludis

===== http://JackBludis.com