RARA-AVIS: Marlowe movies as Bracketted

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 02 Jul 2003

Mario Taboada wrote: I read that he didn't like to talk about his work for Hollywood. The few comments he made about it were negative
(he did say that the money was good). A big fish in a filthy pond, drowning in whisky. A pure Southerner doing the California breezy, a bad fit.

********** Woody has probably written the definitive text on the Hollywood effect on hardboiled and noir writers but from my limited knowledge, very few novel writers that go to scriptwriting have much good to say about it, whether they made money or not. Horace McCoy wrote a lot of scripts, but denigrated the experience in his I SHOULD HAVE STAYED HOME (1938). I think James Cain despised it, too. Edward Anderson didn't have enough luck in California to even call himself a scritwriter. If I recall from Gruber's PULP JUNGLE, I think even Carroll John Daly gave it a shot. Chandler did some scriptwriting too, I know. Although I haven't specifically heard what he thought about it, I can assume he hated it. But then again, there wasn't much he approved of anyway.

miker