RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harmful books

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 19 Jun 2003

Mario Taboada wrote:

Of course a book can be harmful. Particularly when a person gets inspired for it *and* knows nothing about taking responsibility for his own actions. Propaganda works on this principle.

Then Al Guthrie wrote:

I can see how a book might be harmful to a five-year-old.

*********

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Is it the idea that's dangerous or the people that are inspired by it? Good subject for the debate team.

Without weighing in on either side, I would say that the novel's influence on the world has declined significantly since the advent of hotter media, such as radio and film. From what I've read, Stowe's UNCLE TOM'S CABIN was a powerful catalyst in American thinking.

What hardboiled or noir books have rocked the world? Feel free to use any definition you see fit for "rocking the world."

miker