RARA-AVIS: Ellis (not Arthur): Taboada

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 10 Jun 2003

Whining spoiled brat fiction; my parents failed to buy my love, I took a lot of drugs, yet somehow my life is empty. Tearing up yet? His clumsily-written, unoriginal but extreme (particularly for those unexposed to splatterpunk horror/suspense) AMERICAN PSYCHO was most of the reason for his inclusion, I believe. Other novels include his first, LESS THAN ZERO, which is also cf after a fashion. (I've always taken the title of his serial killer novel as a backhanded tribute to Robert Bloch, whose most widely-distributed novels were probably PSYCHO and AMERICAN GOTHIC, the latter the first Herman Mudgett novel I'm aware of...recently we've seen a couple of high-profile Mudgett books, one fiction, one nf--the murderous owner of "The Castle" near the Chicago Exposition in 1898.)

-----Original Message----- From: Mario Taboada [mailto: matrxtech@yahoo.com]
<<but does include some more recent folk I find pretty marginal for cf, such as Bret Easton Ellis, or generally minor, such as BE Ellis despite his popularity>>

OK, we can tell you really like Ellis... I've never picked up any of his stuff. What does he write?