Re: RARA-AVIS: JDM Month

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 06 Jun 2003

On 6 June 2003, Bludis Jack wrote:

: Are we now in JDM month?

This is officially John D. MacDonald month on RARA-AVIS! I encourage everyone to read one of his many books and talk about it: a brief review, perhaps, or a favourite line, or just whether or not it's any good. JDM wrote a lot, so you have a lot to choose from, and if you haven't read a lot by him, you'll probably end up hearing about many books you'll want to track down.

There are the non-McGee books that have been recommended. I'm not sure yet which one I'll read.

  DEAD LOW TIDE
  A FLASH OF GREEN
  THE LAST ONE LEFT
  MURDER IN THE WIND
  ONE MONDAY WE KILLED THEM ALL
  SOFT TOUCH

Of the Travis McGee series, I'd recommend starting at the beginning, with THE DEEP BLUE GOODBYE, NIGHTMARE IN PINK, and A PURPLE PLACE FOR DYING
(all 1964). If you're new to McGee, they'll set you up with all you need to know about him, what he does, his friend Meyer and their life on boats on the Florida coast, and all the rest. Plus, they're classic examples of Fawcett Gold Medal paperback originals.

Hugh Merrill wrote a biography of MacDonald, THE RED HOT TYPEWRITER