Re: RARA-AVIS: JDM Month

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jun 2003

Bill, what a coincidence... I have been rereading John D., too. For me, one of the highest points comes in The Turquoise Lament (1973), whose virtues partially escaped me way back when but not this time. I am planning a little nostalgia review of this rich novel.

Of the ones you mention, "One Monday..." is terrific (I have a vivid recollection, soon to be refreshed by rereading if I can dig it up from the boxes). The others I remember much less vividly, but I don't remember disliking
*any* JDM Gold Medals from that era.

He started getting cheesier and philosophical in the seventies, or perhaps in the late sixties. The encyclopedias can probably pinpoint when and how it happened.

I would have loved it if JDM had left some sort of autobiography, like Block is doing. He's something of a cipher -- brilliant but chillingly impersonal. Perhaps the cheap philosophy was his way of thawing.

Best,

MrT