Re: RARA-AVIS: Donald MacCampbell

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 19 Mar 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: < abc@wt.net> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 3:31 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Donald MacCampbell

> MacCampbell is the author of DON'T STEP ON IT--IT MIGHT BE A
> WRITER. I got it from abebooks, and I'm glad I did.
> MacCampbell was (or maybe still is) a literary agent.

MacCampbell was still an agent during the Eighties. I got a letter from him once asking if I had any out-of-print Westerns for which he could sell the large print rights. I got the impression that was about the extent of his business at the time. Since then I've seen quite a few large print Westerns that say "Published by arrangement with Donald MacCampbell" on the copyright page. Not in recent years, though, since Jon Tuska has pretty much cornered that market.

>Two
> of his clients were Day Keene and Harry Whittington, and
> MacCampbell concentrated on the paperback market.

I wish I'd had something to give him. It would have been nice to be represented by somebody who had once represented Keene and Whittington.

James