RARA-AVIS: White, Kantor, and Walsh

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 28 Feb 2003

JIM DOHERTY wrote:

Following Shaw's invitation to do a novel, and prior to "The Cleansing of Poisonville," the serial published in book form as RED HARVEST, Hammett did a two-part serial for BLACK MASK, about a major bank robbery and the hunt for the guy who masterminded it.

The two installments were called "The Big Knockover" and "$106,000 Blood Money"...

********** Thanks, Jim. I've got "The Big Knockover" waiting for me on the shelf.

If you don't mind, I've got a couple questions for you concerning those American authors of pre-procedurals in the Thirties. Can you recommend some books by them that were written in the Thirties? I think you mentioned Kantor, White, and Walsh. I spent some time searching for Leslie T. White novels on abebooks and the only one I could come up with that was definitely in the 1930s is HARNESS BULL. I notice that the date given for the books on abebooks is usually the printing, not the first year they were published, so that made it difficult for me to know what others might have been written in the 1930s but I'm looking at a later printing.

Thanks, miker