RARA-AVIS: RE: Southern Gothic

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane@emazing.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2003

"Duane Spurlock" < duane@emazing.com> (that's me) wrote:

<< Walker Percy is another. LOVE IN THE RUINS is a sort-of post-apolcalyptic southern gothic. And in some ways, his first novel, THE MOVIEGOER, could be discussed on this list for its hard-boiled elements.

Last night/this morning, about 2 a.m., I popped awake realizing that THE MOVIEGOER isn't the novel I meant to name. Instead, I meant to say LANCELOT. Here's how Amazon.com describes it:

<< Lancelot Andrewes Lamar, a disenchanted liberal lawyer, finds himself confined in a mental asylum with memories that don't seem worth remembering, until a visit from an old friend and classmate gives him the opportunity to recount his journey of dark violence. It began the day he accidentally discovered he was not the father of his youngest daughter. That discovery touched off his obsession to reverse the degeneration of modern America and begin a new age of chivalry and romance. With ever-increasing fury, Lancelot became a shining knight -- not of romance, but of revenge.

- - Duane Spurlock Proprietor, The Pulp Rack http://www.pulprack.com