Re: RARA-AVIS: "Evan Hunter" et al ...

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 28 Feb 2003

Al says, "He changed his name to Evan Hunter."

He sure did. Somewhere around here I have a letter from him about that. One of the characters in my Sheriff Rhodes series is a big Ed McBain fan, so I wrote something in one of the books about McBain's various names. Someone told him about it, and he read the book, after which he wrote me a very nice letter in which he explained that he had made the change legal. He doesn't like to be reminded of his birth name, as I think Richard Moore can attest. I believe Richard asked him about it at the Omaha Bouchercon.

Bill Crider