RARA-AVIS: RE: Southern Gothic

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane@emazing.com)
Date: 27 Feb 2003

Robison Michael R CNIN < Robison_M@crane.navy.mil> wrote:

<< I can't say that I've ever got a sense of the South from any of his stories, though. The limited number I have read always have this highbrow British air to them. I think that's probably because so many of them are set in Europe. I think the Dupin ones were in Paris.

Can you think of any that have a Southern "air" to them?

Where does "Fall of the House of Usher" take place?

Someone to perhaps add to your contemporary Southern Gothic list is Barry Hannah -- his stories are usually filled with southern eccentrics and remarkable violence and fierce emotions. For example, take a look at his most recent novel, YONDER STANDS YOUR ORPHAN.

Walker Percy is another. LOVE IN THE RUINS is a sort-of post-apolcalyptic southern gothic. And in some ways, his first novel, THE MOVIEGOER, could be discussed on this list for its hard-boiled elements.

- Duane Spurlock Proprietor, The Pulp Rack http://www.pulprack.com