RE: RARA-AVIS: Southern Gothic

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 27 Feb 2003

Thank you, Ed. I've read about a dozen Poe stories. He's considered the inventor of the modern detective story and I've read all (3) his Dupin stories and I'm willing to give him credit for that. And stories like Cask of Amontilado, The Red Mask, and Fall of the House of Usher absolutely reek of noirdom. Didn't even mention Tell-Tale Heart, did I? Think Jim Thompson read that one? ;-)

I can't say that I've ever got a sense of the South from any of his stories, though. The limited number I have read always have this highbrow British air to them. I think that's probably because so many of them are set in Europe. I think the Dupin ones were in Paris.

Can you think of any that have a Southern "air" to them?

Thanks again, miker

-----Original Message----- From: Ed Lynskey [mailto: e_lynskey@yahoo.com] Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 10:55 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Southern Gothic

You could advance an argument that Poe was the true grandaddy of Southern Gothic. I mean if Virginia is still considered Southern.

Ed Lynskey Born and bred in VA

=====