Re: RARA-AVIS: Jason Starr

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@att.net)
Date: 26 Feb 2003

From: "William Denton" < buff@pobox.com>

> On 25 February 2003, Ron Clinton wrote:
>
> : Hope everyone's listening to the Jason Starr interview right now on
> : www.whus.org (Tues., 2pm)...
>
> I missed it--what did he say?

I apologize to everyone for the late notice; had I given it more thought, I would have had the foresight to mention before the thing actually started...especially since I had a sticky-note reminder pasted on my desk for the last half-week.

It was a short 30-minute interview with an interviewer whose style was, at best, a bit convoluted. But Jason did his best to discern what the gentleman was trying for, and it was short but sweet discussion about his books, his publishing history, the mechanics of his writing technique, and the authors from which he's found inspiration...among those mentioned were Willeford, Thompson, Lionel White, Charles Williams, Gil Brewer, Donald Westlake and Pelecanos.

The most exciting tidbit from the interview is the disclosure that he has two more books contracted and forthcoming from Vintage.

> I read his new book, TOUGH LUCK (2003), at Christmas, and really liked it.

Yeah, it's a great read, as is the rest of his body of work. He's terrific...a singular talent writing a type of book that, unfortunately, also seems all too singular.

Ron Clinton