Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V5 #33 - Noir

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 22 Feb 2003

Jim:

"This is not true of either the tradtional mystery's amateur sleuth nor its amateur criminal."

I must admit that as much of a caper fan as I am, I can't remember reading any amateur criminal stories. I'm guessing this would apply to a character like Rafferty (would Cary Grant's gentleman thief in To Catch a Thief be a distant relation?). I'm curious, what's their stated motive for stealing (if they even bother giving one)? Is it just an adventure, a form of slumming? A patrician puzzle to outwit the authorities? Stealing from the bad to right a wrong? A Robin Hood kind of thing? Is there a recommended book of this sort? I think it'd be amusing to compare it to Parker or Earl Drake.

Mark