RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir: not a jazzing contest

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 20 Feb 2003

Not a matter of topping...and I assume we're to take your "authority" as more legit?

I suggest that the urban component of noir is overstressed; as has been noted, there's no dearth of small towns and backwaters in "our" literature. But, then, blues isn't inherently rural, either...it started being a cosmopolitan concern not too distantly from the period that hb and self-conscious noir began appearing on rough-paper pages. TM

-----Original Message----- From: dave [mailto: birdlives@earthlink.net]

Jesus, Todd... I forgot you're around. I don't have the energy to go toe to toe with your "authority."

Nevertheless, I would submit that Robert Johnson's delta blues is essentially rural, whereas Noir is urban... as is bebop.

Top that!