Re: R: RARA-AVIS: Noir western turns hardboiled

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 19 Feb 2003

Mario, have you seen Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop? Great existential movie about nomadic street racers. I'm not sure it's noir, the characters aren't exactly doomed, except in a life as an endless loop kind of way, but a great movie.

It was co-scripted by Rudy Wurlitzer. That and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid sent me to Wurlitzer's novels. I've read three out of four and they were good (Quake might have even been great, an apocalyptic classic about the Big Quake that would end California life as we know it), but I was disappointed none was noir. I think he could have written well in that vein.

Mark