RARA-AVIS: Slipping back to the Thirties: Jim Doherty

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 16 Feb 2003

I read Jim Doherty's evolution of police procedurals in the 40s and 50s, but I don't recall anything from the 30s. Do the 30s predate hardboiled procedurals? I've read close to twenty from the Thirties, and the closest to a procedural would be Greene's THIS GUN FOR HIRE, which is probably "iffy".

Another quickie Hammett question: Does Hammett avoid simile and metaphor completely? I know that Mario refers to the THH school of writing, which is straightforward with an aversion to such embellishments. I reread about 30 pages of RED HARVEST and didn't find any to speak of.

Thanks, miker