Re: RARA-AVIS: THE PULP JUNGLE (1967)

From: Sidney Allinson ( sidneya@shaw.ca)
Date: 15 Feb 2003

> For me, that "solemnity" is a respect for the quality of the good writers'
> work. In my way of thinking, the commercial nature does nothing to
> demean it. And what the author meant or didn't mean doesn't much
> matter to me either. The work stands by itself. Or at least that's what
> my buddy Barthes says.
> miker

Of course, Mike. To me there is nothing "demeaning" in a commercial nature of writing. In fact, *all* published writing is of a commercial nature. Publishing thrillers -- like publishing anything else - is itself of a commercial nature. As I have been a writer all my life, I have nothing but respect for any writer who approaches his work as a craftsman.
-- Sidney Allinson.