Re: RARA-AVIS: Jason and Medea

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Feb 2003

Craig:

The version I thumbnailed is based on an epic of the Argonauts written by Apollonios of Rhodes (3rd century BC). And I did indeed omit the fact that she kills Jason's young lover (her father is also killed, by chance) by sending the poisoned dress. I don't recall what Euripides does with Jason at the end. Apollonius has him commit suicide. This is quite fitting to a noir tale. I'll check out Euripides.

The business with Medea and the chariot is strikingly similar to how tthe bad dames of noir take off after wreaking havoc.

From Medea to Gil Brewer, not such a stretch after all. It's all been done, so what?

Regards,

MrT