Re: Re: RARA-AVIS: Burke's Civil War Novel

From: Patrick ( pat512@mindspring.com)
Date: 14 Feb 2003

> I haven't read COLD MOUNTAIN, but Burke's book is also rather
> hardboiled, as you might expect. Not just the battle scenes,
> but everyday life in Union-occupied Louisiana during the war
> and Reconstruction afterward. The characters are all supposed
> to have existed and include some of Burke's ancestors. Don't
> know how much is true, but it reads like it could have been.

My comments on it from rec.arts.mystery:

Just finished _White Doves at Morning_ (James Lee Burke). Not a mystery, but close to on-topic. I liked it, but I think I would have liked it more if I hadn't read most of Burke's other work -- then it might not have been as obvious that Willie Burke was pretty much just like Dave Robicheaux. <sigh> I really like what Burke does, but this definitely showed a limitation on his range.

Pat