RE: RARA-AVIS: Noir: style vs typology

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 14 Feb 2003

Bill Denton wrote:
... History is full of bleak and tragic twisted stories, as well as tough people trying to do what's right in a world of evil, but that doesn't mean they're noir or hardboiled stories (or even proto-). The writing style key, and it didn't come along until the twentieth century.

********* Well, that's interesting. I don't see writing style as an integral part of either Jim's or Jack's noir definition. I am willing to consider that style might be a part of the noir definition if somebody would define the style. I don't see much in common in Cornell Woolrich's and James Cain's style. Cain is noir written in a hardboiled style. I know he hated being called hardboiled, but the shoe fits. Wool- rich's I MARRIED A DEAD MAN is florid, gushy, and excessive, something I would associate more with 18th or early 19th century Gothic. If both these writers are noir, then the gates appear wide open for style.

miker