RARA-AVIS: What's in a character?

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 14 Feb 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bludis Jack" < buildsnburns@yahoo.com>

> In the best novels, no matter what the genre, the
> setting and atmosphere are additional characters,

I wonder. This is a comment often applied to Chandler, and I'm not just taking issue with you, Jack. While I don't dispute the fact that setting and atmosphere are enormously important, I would disagree that they can be called characters. As such, they're the flattest characters I can imagine. No goals, no fears, no internal struggle - nothing that constitutes an engaging character. In the best novels, even minor characters have goals and fears. It's what makes them seem real.

Just a thought.

Al