Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V5 #33 - Noir

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 13 Feb 2003

Rene wrote:

"I think that maybe why the western and the hardboiled novel often overlap is because they are often set in the same geographical area - here I'm thinking of noir films & novels set in the desert or badlands : Detour, Gun Crazy, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, God is a Bullet. On the one hand, these stories are set in the same badlands that good & bad cowboys & Indians fought & died in Westerns but on the other hand, the protagonists are a drive away from the modern city."

Rene,

I think your point is reinforced by the fact that the director of Alfredo Garcia was very (far more in my opinion) adept at westerns and God is a Bullet is an update of the classic western The Searchers.

Mark