RARA-AVIS: THE PULP JUNGLE (1967)

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 13 Feb 2003

Todd Mason wrote:

Even though my previous contribution to this discussion seems to have been lost to time or the delete key, I will suggest that I'd bet the majority, at least, of writers for BLACK MASK and later DIME DETECTIVE, etc, were acutely aware of what their colleagues were doing. Whether or not they thought of themselves as world-changers, I'm not sure, but I suspect they had some sense of what they were doing to crime fiction as it then existed. TM

*************** I am positive that the noble crusade of the pulps to reshape the world of literature was a subject at many writer drinking parties. Cap Shaw was certainly quick to lecture on the merits of the Black Mask "style". Nevertheless, I'm equally sure that few of the authors would have stuck with them if they could have emanated the style that would have graduated them into the higher-paying slicks.

I gotta laugh at myself. I read one damn book on the era and all of a sudden I'm some pompous expert. Haha! I just finished Frank Gruber's THE PULP JUNGLE. Many thanks to Bill Crider for recommending it. I loved it. It was a lot of fun.

miker