RARA-AVIS: RE: Noir

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane@emazing.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2003

"Graham Powell" < bleekerbooks@hotmail.com> wrote:

<< One thing that shapes our thinking about hardboiled and noir is the influence of history. The group of hardboiled writers that formed around Black Mask in the '20s (including Hammett, Daly, Paul Cain, as well as editor Joseph Shaw) clearly felt that they were part of a movement, that they were doing something new and different.

I noticed at the bookstore this morning a literary journal named Gettysburg Review with this blurb on the cover: "Noir issue." Everybody's getting in on the act.

Here's what the journal's website says about this issue:

<< The Noir Isssue (Summer 2002) showcases paintings by John Hull, essays by Paula K. Speck and Robert Rawdon Wilson, stories by Peter Gordon, John Keyes, and Solon Timothy Woodward, and poems by Richard Lyons, Christopher Howell, and Albert Goldbarth, as well as outstanding work by many others.

There are also selections from the issue online.

Here's the URL: http://www.gettysburg.edu/academics/gettysburg_review/news.html

- Duane Spurlock Proprietor, The Pulp Rack http://www.pulprack.com