RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V5 #33 - Noir

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 13 Feb 2003

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 09:00 AM, RARA-AVIS Digest wrote:

> I think noir
> transcends geographical constraints.

I believe that this goes without saying. Noir seems to me to be neither character- nor plot-dependent, but a matter of the setting. It's the shadow moving beyond the campfire light, the darkness down the back alley, in the unlit doorway (Third Man, right?), between the street lights, OR in the woods. Or for that matter in the unconscious mind, the dark mind of the Other, the killer.... Death's home, really or symbolically.

I will stop before I freak myself out on this rainy morning in London!

Marianne