Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir and its definitions

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 12 Feb 2003

Jack, I like your definition of "Screwed." However, I've been thinking about miker's question about what separates modern (or should that be modernist?) noir from the antecedents he mentions. In my mind, part of it seems to do with "the city." Although I can think of exceptions (for instance, Daniel Woodrell and Joe Lansdale), the city sees to me to be an integral part in my idea of noir.

Mark

ps -- also, wasn't "M" an early talkie (albeit with subtitles in the US)?