RARA-AVIS: Middleton noir

From: Russell James ( look@russelljames.co.uk)
Date: 12 Feb 2003

Seeing Al Guthrie's plug for the Jacobean tragedies of Thomas Middleton made me break my normal "no self-promotion" rule and steer you in the direction of my "THE ANNEX" published in the States last year by Five Star Mysteries. It is overtly based on Middleton's best known Jacobean sex shocker "THE CHANGELING" - although set in apparently cosy England in modern times. I've tried to keep all the best noir elements of the original (and the sex, of course).

Don't worry if you haven't read it yet. It's hard enough tracking the book down in the States, where it was published. (Try your library, if all else fails.) And in Britain, you'll find it in only the top crime bookshops.

RUSSELL JAMES