RARA-AVIS: 1960s

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 02 Feb 2003

I thought that for the '60s I'd revisit a writer whose books gave me a lot of pleasure in that decade, Chester Himes. So re-read ALL SHOT UP. It was great to be back in Himes' Harlem with Coffin Ed and Gravedigger eating chicken feetsy and making sure that fifth bullet in the chanmber is a tracer. Himes writes violence like nobody else, and there's a scene in ALL SHOT UP that was really shocking to me the first time I read it. It's grotesque, horrible, and hilarious, all at once. And Himes had never heard of Political Correctness. If you've never read one of his books, what are you waiting for?

Bill Crider