Re: RARA-AVIS: The Grifters

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 02 Feb 2003

On 2 February 2003, Paul Miller wrote:

: The film adaption by Frears is one of my favorite movies and stands as
: one of the best noir book adaptions ever.

I agree. And the book is one Thompson's best. I see it's on DVD, with commentary by Westlake, and an extra about Thompson. Anyone know what that's like?

Thompson always seems like a '50s writer to me, because of that explosion in 1953-54 when he published ten books. Things tailed off after 1957 or so, but he was still doing a book every year or two until he died.

: Does the 60-69 theme indicate books with events taking place then or books
: that were written then?

Written then, but as usual anything else from other periods is still fair game.

Bill