RARA-AVIS: The Bone Orchard

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 01 Feb 2003

Last year I read Dan Simmons' HARD FREEZE, and it was so over the top that I thought maybe it as a sort of parody. This year, I've just read D. Daniel Judson's THE BONE ORCHARD (recommended here some time ago by Gary Warren Niebuhr). All I can say is that the protagonist of HARD FREEZE is a mere girly-boy compared to Declan MacManus of THE BONE ORCHARD. MacManus absorbs more punishment in about ten pages of the book than Mike Hammer in his entire career.
  After that, things really get rough for him. If HARD FREEZE was over the top, this one's out there in the stratosphere. There is a sequel, but from Gary's description of it, it sounds like it may have been written first but published second, a not unknown phenomenon in the publishing field. At any rate, THE BONE ORCHARD is entertaining enough, if incredible, though the protagonist's final shattering realization comes as absolutely no surprise to anyone but him.

Bill Crider