Re: RARA-AVIS: Zeltserman's In His Shadow

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 25 Oct 2002

Mario wrote:
> Miker, I was referring to irony in the style, though in The
> Woman Chaser the content is also a send-up of all sorts of
> things, including Freudianism, Kafka, etc. The author is
> very much present, subtly pointing at things.

*********** Thanks, Mario. I think I understand what you're saying. I'm taking WOMAN CHASER with me on travel, and I'll try and get to it and see if I can figure out what you are talking about. I don't know a whole lot about Freud other than the big picture thing of the subconscious having a powerful influence over an individual and a few of his hard-to-comprehend theories like the Oedipus stuff. And Kafka? Post-WWII existentialist, wasn't he? I understand a little of that, since I went thru a Hermann Hesse period in my teens. Didn't Kafka write a book about a guy turning into a bug? Metamorphosis, maybe.

miker