RE: RARA-AVIS: Yet more digests: Moore

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2002

You remember correctly, Richard...as obviously fictional as "Hollywood Confidential" in CONFLICT may've been, "Mars Confidential" in AMAZING was
(presumably intentionally) pre-WEEKLY WORLD NEWS-style preposterousness. Though I wonder if Browne thought as much of these stunts as someone in a better-appointed office at Ziff-Davis.

I suppose we're lucky that FANTASTIC didn't offer "Lemuria Confidential!" or
"Salem Confidential!" (blowing the lid off the sex and influence-peddling behind the Witch Trials).

Did you read Browne's Z-D MAMMOTH cf pulps? Or his sea-fiction semislick digest of the same period? TM

-----Original Message----- From: Moorich2@aol.com [mailto: Moorich2@aol.com]

Among the odds and ends of my accumulation of mystery digests is a copy of
"Conflict" published by Ziff-Davis in Fall 1953 and edited by Howard Browne,

the great author of the Paul Pine mysteries. The cover is striking--a blonde by Henry Von Dongen--and the contents features stories by Browne buddies Roy

Huggins and Wlilliam P. McGivern as well as one by the underrated Charlotte Armstrong.

The biggest drawback to that one issue was the banner display given
"Hollywood Confidential" by Jack Lait and Lee Mortimer. This duo had a bestseller that they turned it into a "brand." If my memory serves me, they

sold Browne on this "Confidential" brand for "Amazing Stories" as well with a piece entitled "Mars Confidential."