RARA-AVIS: Bouchercon

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 22 Oct 2002

Thanks for the congratulations, Miker. The story Judy and I won the Anthony for wasn't hardboiled, I'm sorry to say.

Naturally I had a great time at Bouchercon, but then I always do. There are far too many highlights for me to mention all of them, but here are a few:

The guys with the Fred Brown quadruple decker were there. Four or five members of a group I was with bought copies as soon as they found out.

The interview Joe Lansdale did with me was a barrel of fun. If you ever get a chance to meet Joe, don't pass it by. He's a great guy as well as a great writer.

Fender Tucker was there with his Harry Stephen Keeler books and his Boucher Chronicles. It was a treat to meet him in person.

At one signing I got to sit between Loren Estleman and Max Allan Collins. Boy, did I feel like I was in the Big Time. And earlier I sat next to Walter Mosley. You can't beat that.

The bad news is that I didn't meet many rara-avians. I finally got a chance to talk with Jim Doherty for a while in the hospitality suite, and I talked to Gary Warren Niebuhr on several occasions, but I think everyone else was avoiding me.

Bill Crider