RE: RARA-AVIS: James Cain

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davez@shore.net)
Date: 17 Oct 2002

I also liked Love's Lovely Counterfeit and The Butterfly.

-Dave

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca] On Behalf Of Robison Michael R CNIN Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 8:04 AM To: ' rara-avis@icomm.ca' Subject: RARA-AVIS: James Cain

Besides THE POSTMAN and DOUBLE INDEMNITY, are any of James Cain's other novels really good? I've kinda heard mixed reviews of SERENADE, THE MOTH, and MILDRED PIERCE. Oates dwells on them quite a bit in her essay on him in Madden's TOUGH GUY WRITERS OF THE THIRTIES, but somewhere else I read that none of his later works were on par with his first two novels.

Thanks, miker

.