RARA-AVIS: All the amphibians: Harbin

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 14 Oct 2002

I'd say that Bester's THE DEMOLISHED MAN and "Fondly Farenheit" are pretty hb sf, as is much of Algis Budrys's work. If we broaden beyond the pulps
(as we'd have to with Niven, who began publishing in the mid-'60s; Budrys is another who barely qualifes as a pulp-contributor), there're quite a few people to deal with...the fantasy-mysteries of Randall Garrett, his best work I've read, come to mind, and the brilliant Avram Davidson qualifies. Asimov and Niven's sfnal-mystery work might be considered noir in a pensive, largely suppressed-emotion sense. TM

-----Original Message----- From: SRHarbin@aol.com [mailto: SRHarbin@aol.com]

In a message dated 10/11/2002 1:01:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, Todd.Mason@tvguide.com writes:

> As for fantastic fiction and cf amphibians in the pulps, I'll nominate
> Robert Bloch, Cornell Woolrich, Jack/John Holbrook Vance (though he rolled
> in toward the end of the pulps), Miriam Allen DeFord (ditto, I think, for
> her), Anthony Boucher, and no doubt a slew I'm foolishly letting slip
> by...though you did specify science fiction, which leaves out Woolrich as
> far as I know, but not the other folk (even if Bloch's sf may've been the
> least of his talents, he did some excellent work in that
> field).
I stand corrected, I forgot about Bloch and Boucher, not to mention Jack/John Holbrook/Vance, one of my all time favorite authors in any genre. I guess one could even mention the hybrids, such as Larry Niven, Isaac Asimov, and Alfred Bester who wrote science fiction/mysteries. How hard boiled those are is open to question I would guess...