RE: RARA-AVIS: Fredric Brown and the amphibians: Harbin

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 11 Oct 2002

Todd wrote: As for fantastic fiction and cf amphibians in the pulps, I'll nominate Robert Bloch, Cornell Woolrich, Jack/John Holbrook Vance (though he rolled in toward the end of the pulps), Miriam Allen DeFord (ditto, I think, for her), Anthony Boucher, and no doubt a slew I'm foolishly letting slip by...though you did specify science fiction, which leaves out Woolrich as far as I know, but not the other folk (even if Bloch's sf may've been the least of his talents, he did some excellent work in that field).

******** And didn't Cornell write some nonhardboiled high society type mysteries a long time ago, like in the teens or early 20's? I think I recall seeing them described for sale on that auction site that handled the Lackritz collection.

I should probably had said "non-noir", since I'm not cer- tain if Cornell is hardboiled or not. I thought I MARRIED A DEAD MAN was noir but not hardboiled.

miker