RARA-AVIS: Whitfield

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 11 Oct 2002

Mario said: I notice that Whitfield, another first-rate writer, was not especially prolific. And of course, neither was Chandler.

********* Are Whitfield's Jo Gar stories collected in any volume? I wanna read em.

With no other exposure to Whitfield other than GREEN ICE, Whitfield's style looks like a Hammett clone. Seems to me that Whitfield's big contribution to the genre is a "cooler" protagonist, starting with Mal and, according to heresay, Jo Gar.

And who the heck is Fredric Brown? I don't see anything by him listed on the hardboiled checklist page. Was he a Black Mask story writer?

miker