RARA-AVIS: Miss Lonelyhearts and recently bought

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 06 Oct 2002

Al said: If I can find a copy, I will. I didn't realise it was so short. And thanks, as always, for your opinion.

********** I'm not sure about your side of the pond, but I picked up my copy of MISS LONELYHEARTS/DAY OF THE LOCUST at the local bookstore, Barnes and Noble. For a trade paperback, it was very reasonably priced at a little over $10US.

I've been having a lot of luck beating the expensive trade paperback price (example: Burrough's JUNKIE) by buying at Abebooks. Interestingly enough, I found the one just men- tioned there, and to my surprise, the store that offered it is called the Curious Kiwi, and it's about 10 miles south- east of me. So far I've had no luck on locating the bus- iness. I've never heard of it before.

I normally will post on the books I read, but not on the ones that I've simply bought, but I went to the American Red Cross book sale in Bloomington and found quite a few good ones. I found one of the older (1969?) Aaron ASSIGN- MENT books, and that's cool because I haven't read him yet, and I found one by Joan Didion called PLAY IT AS IT LIES, and that one struck a familiar chord, but I couldn't place it, so I bought it anyway. I think maybe Jim Blue recom- mended that one many moons ago. I bought a like-new paper- back of Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS because I liked NEVERWHERE. That's treading closely to off-topic but I could plead it as noir, I guess. I bought a 1932 reprint of a Simenon (sp?) because he's been mentioned here a lot and the book is only a few pages long. I saw several J.D. MacDonald's, but I recently bought 11 Travis novels in a lot at ebay, so I didn't buy them. The most surprising find was Peter Rabe's WAR OF THE DONS. Evidently the collector value of Gold Medal originals are understood. I never see them for sale cheap. I rarely see them at all.

miker

good luck, miker