Re: RARA-AVIS: Jim Doherty's Favorites

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2002

Al,

Re your message below:

> I know cricket terminology only slightly better than
> I know baseball
> terminology, Jim. I don't know which sport inspired
> the phrase, but a
> "fresh-air shot" is one in where you miss the ball
> completely.

In baseball that's a "swing and a miss." Three of them is a "strikeout." Perhaps "fresh-air shot" derives from archery or target shooting and refers to missing the target completely.

In any case, Wainwright is extraordinarily prolific
(which inevitably means he has his share of strikeouts), and has a very individual style that's probably an acquired taste.

> Ergo, no, I
> didn't like it at all. I'll look out for ALL ON A
> SUMMER'S DAY, though.
> I'll happily give Wainwright another shot.

Well, you already know how heartily I recommend SUMMER'S DAY.

> (if only Ed McBain used real
> placenames, Cotton could
> have gone to Harlem).

Yeah, COTTON GOES (or COMES) TO DIAMONDBACK doesn't have the same ring.

> BTW, I bought John Galvin's BOG WARRIORS last time I
> was in Ireland. Like
> yourself, though, I haven't got round to reading it
> yet.

If you get to it first, let me know what you thought.

JIM DOHERTY