RARA-AVIS: John Galvin

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Sep 2002

I didn't get to the computer yesterday, and this mesage that I sen Wednesday just came back as "failed deliver" so I'm re-sending it:

A friend of mine who was visiting the Olde Sod found a copy of a book entitled BOG WARRIORS by John Galvin, which he sent to me. I haven't read it yet, and so, can't comment, but the background is interesting as hell to me as both a cop and an Irish-American.

A "Bog Warrior" is apparently a derisive term, coined by Dubliners, for a rural Irishman. The book is set in Ireland's rural countryside, and the author, John Galvin, is actually a member of the Garda Siochana, the Republic of Ireland's national police force, who's spent the bulk of his career keeping the peace in Ireland's less metropolitan areas.

Ireland's been the setting for a number of cop novels over the years. The late Bartholomew Gill had a good deal of success with his novels about Detective Superintendent McGarr. John Brady has written several novels about a Garda detective named Matt Minogue, the first of which A STONE OF THE HEART, won an Arthur Ellis award. Eugene McEldowney covers police work north of the border in his Belfast-set novels about a detective in the Royal Ulster Constabulary, one of which, coincidentally, is also entitled A STONE OF THE HEART.
  But only John Galvin brings actual hand-on police experience to Irish cop fiction.
  By the way, thanks for all the kind words about my posts this month.
  JIM DOHERTY