RE: RARA-AVIS: The Dain Curse: 1920s HB

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Sep 2002

Dave,

Re your comment below:

> Dain Curse (like all Hammett books + stories) is
> terrific. The made for
> TV movie had probably the worst casting possible -
> James Coburn as the
> Continental Op.

I understand your objections, but, on blaance, I don't think I agree. Despite the physical description given of the Op, he, like most of Hammett's protagonists, always struck me as a self-portrait. Given that, casting an actor for his resemblance to Hammett, and giveng him a name, "Hamilton Nash," that deliberately evokes Hammett's seems quite appropriate.

JIM DOHERTY