RARA-AVIS: Sanctuary question (spoiler)

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 19 Sep 2002

My ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MURDER AND MYSTERY says that Temple perjures herself at Goodwin's trial and falsely accuses him of Popeye's crime in order to protect Popeye.

That is what I thought also, while she is testifying. But after the trial it mentions that Popeye is already in jail somewhere else for murdering somebody else, and so I'm wondering why did she testify against Goodwin, since Popeye is destined to hang anyway. And then I realize that although he didn't do the crime, he was there and she holds him accountable, so she's making sure he burns too.

I'm terrible with timelines and parts of SANCTUARY were deliberately vague. Am I right in my thinking or am I way off and the ENCYCLOPEDIA is right?

thanks, miker