RARA-AVIS: New hardboiled definition

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 17 Sep 2002

This is a definition of hard-boiled from MysteryGuide.com. Pay special attention to the last sentence. No wonder we're all hardboiled fans.

  Books we classify as hard-boiled are set among criminals rather than
  crimefighters. A typical storyline concerns revenge, vigilante
  justice, or the commission (rather than detection) of a crime; the
  classic narrative style is terse, colloquial, and stripped-down. The
  subject matter may include hellish marriages, sexual abuse, drug and
  alcohol addiction, prison life, or other similarly intense antisocial
  experiences. Potential readers should be prepared for a shocking or
  offensive experience if they choose to pick up a hard-boiled novel.
  Our former category Sleaze has been incorporated into the Hard-boiled
  subgenre.

miker