RE: RARA-AVIS: Beiderbecke and YOUNG MAN: Guthrie

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 16 Sep 2002

Heirs/estate agents have a habit of stomping those who would besmirch the memory, or at least those who don't enrich the estate for the use of the life story. She could only write with impunity if she could successfully claim not to be writing about BB. Though this may be somewhat different between US and UK. TM

-----Original Message----- From: Al Guthrie [mailto: allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk]
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Sullivan" < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net>

  Would a disclaimer like that actually work in
> staving off lawsuits? Somehow I doubt it.

I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong, but my understanding is that libel applies to the living, not the dead. Beiderbecke died in 1931. "Young Man" was written in 1938. Dorothy Baker could write what she wanted with impunity. As I say, I could be wrong.